Trump hours away from unveiling global tariffs in possible shakeup of US economic strategy – live
Donald Trump has told his inner circle that Elon Musk will be taking a step back from the Trump administration, Politico reports. According to three people familiar with the matter who spoke to the outlet, Trump remains pleased with Musk’s unofficial “department of government efficiency.” However, both Musk and Trump have agreed in recent days “that it will soon be time for Musk to return to his businesses and take on a supporting role,” Politico reports. One senior Trump official said that Musk will likely retain an informal role as an adviser to the president and may be seen occasionally around the White House. Another insider told Politico that anyone who thinks Musk is going to fully remove himself from Trump’s circle is “fooling themselves.” As part of his so-called “liberation day”, Donald Trump is set to unveil new details of part of his economic plan, including tariffs on multiple countries, at 4pm ET today. Although exact details have yet to be revealed, Trump has previously entertained the idea of reciprocal tariffs in which the US would reciprocate the tariffs that other countries have levied on US exports. Countries that Trump has mentioned which would be on the receiving end of reciprocal tariffs include China, Brazil and India, and the European Union. Also on the table is 25% tariffs on all imports coming into the US from Canada and Mexico. Trump has already announced an additional 20% tariff on all Chinese imports and a 25% tariff on all steel and aluminum imports. There is also a 10% tariff on energy imports from Canada. As part of his ruling, US judge Dale Ho rejected claims from the justice department that the case against Eric Adams was based on political motivations by those who disagreed with Adams’ hardline positions on immigration. Ho wrote: Everything here smacks of a bargain: Dismissal of the indictment in exchange for immigration policy concessions. He added: There is no evidence – zero – that they had any improper motives … The record does not show that this case has impaired Mayor Adams in his immigration enforcement efforts. Ho, who dismissed the case with prejudice, also noted that dismissing the case without it “would create the unavoidable perception that the Mayor’s freedom depends on his ability to carry out the immigration enforcement priorities of the administration”. Here is the fuller report on Eric Adams’ federal corruption case dismissal, as reported by Guardian staff and agencies: Critics of the justice department and Adams said a dismissal without prejudice would leave the Democratic mayor beholden to the administration of Republican president Donald Trump in advancing its hard-right agenda. New Yorkers will vote in the mayoral election this November and Adams has resisted pressure to step down or announce he will no longer run for a second term. New York’s governor, Kathy Hochul, a Democrat, decided not to ask Adams to quit office. Adams, 64, pleaded not guilty to accepting bribes and illegal campaign contributions from Turkish officials in exchange for favors, including pressuring city fire department officials to allow Turkey to open a new Manhattan consulate despite safety concerns. For the full story, click here: A US judge on Wednesday dismissed the federal corruption case against New York City mayor Eric Adams, adding that the charges cannot be brought again. US district judge Dale Ho’s decision to dismiss the case with prejudice was in line with the recommendation of a lawyer he asked to offer independent arguments, but contrary to the justice department request for a dismissal without prejudice, Reuters reports. Last September, Adams was hit with a five-count criminal indictment following a lengthy investigation by federal prosecutors into his financial dealings with foreign sources, including Turkish government officials. According to federal prosecutors, Adams “sought and accepted improper valuable benefits, such as luxury international travel, including from wealthy foreign businesspeople and at least one Turkish government official seeking to gain influence over him”. Adams, who has pleaded not guilty to the charges, has yet to comment on his case’s dismissal. Biden’s former health secretary Xavier Becerra has announced his run to be California’s next governor. The 67-year-old Sacramento native and former attorney general of California released a video on Wednesday which Politico first reviewed, saying: I watched my parents – a construction worker and a clerical worker – achieve the California dream … Can we do that today, with this affordability crisis? Very tough. But we’ve taken on these tough fights … We can do that, but you need a leader who can be tough. According to Becerra’s campaign, he will not drop out of the race if Kamala Harris – also one of California’s former attorney generals and the Democrats’ 2024 presidential nominee – decides to join the race. In a new video released on Wednesday morning after his record-breaking Senate speech – interspersed with images of Donald Trump and JD Vance – Cory Booker said: So here’s perhaps one of the greatest leadership lessons there is: that real leaders don’t lecture you on how great they are. They remind you how great we are and how great we can be together. Real leaders don’t spend all their time pointing fingers of blame … Real leaders don’t stand up and say, ‘Only I can lead you. Follow me.’ Real leaders remind us that we are the leaders that we need … This is a moment that we need real leadership to remind us that this is our nation, that we can heal, that we could help – and most of all, in times like this, that we must all lead out of the darkness. David Hogg, gun control activist and vice-chair of the Democratic National Committee, also took to X to celebrate Susan Crawford’s win. Posting several photos of himself with Wisconsin voters, Hogg wrote: Congratulations to my friends in Wisconsin who I went doorknocking with last month to turn out voters for Judge Susan Crawford! Kamala Harris congratulated Wisconsin voters on liberal judge Susan Crawford’s win over Brad Schimel, an Elon Musk-backed Republican candidate and former state attorney general. Speaking in a video address on X, Harris said: You all are just extraordinary, you love our country, you care. You are making such extraordinary sacrifices on behalf of so many people, on behalf of communities … You all are working on behalf of an individual, a candidate in Judge Crawford who will always fight to protect your freedoms and your rights … Referring to Musk, Harris went on to add: There is an unelected billionaire who should not and will not have a greater voice than the working people of Wisconsin. In a post on Truth Social, Donald Trump has said it is “liberation day” in the US. Referring to the upcoming tariffs announcement, the president wrote (in all capital letters): IT’S LIBERATION DAY IN AMERICA! Donald Trump’s planned tariffs will be negative across the world, with the damage depending on how far they go, how long they last and whether they lead to successful negotiations, the European Central Bank head, Christine Lagarde, said on Wednesday. The Trump administration on Wednesday is set to announce “reciprocal tariffs” targeting nations that have duties on US goods. That move would come after it slapped new import levies on products from Mexico, China and Canada – the top US trading partners – as well as on goods including steel and autos. “It will be negative the world over and the density and the durability of the impact will vary depending on the scope, on the products targeted, on how long it lasts, on whether or not there are negotiations,” Lagarde said in an interview on Ireland’s Newstalk radio. “Because let’s not forget quite often those escalations of tariffs, because they prove harmful, even for those who inflict it, lead to negotiation tables where people actually sit down and discuss and eventually remove some of those barriers.” Democrats have been reacting to the Wisconsin supreme court result in celebratory mood, as one might expect. Posting on Elon Musk’s X social media network, Tim Walz wrote simply: Wisconsin beat the billionaire. Elizabeth Warren said: Wisconsin cannot be bought. Our democracy is not for sale. And when we fight, we win. Congratulations, @CrawfordForWI Meanwhile, the Democrats’ official account called Musk a “loser”, complete with mocking imagery. In its first abortion-related case since Donald Trump retook control of the White House, the US supreme court will hear oral arguments on Wednesday morning in a case challenging South Carolina’s attempt to effectively “defund” Planned Parenthood because the reproductive health giant performs abortions. The case, Medina v Planned Parenthood South Atlantic, deals with a 2018 executive order from the South Carolina governor Henry McMaster that blocked clinics that provide abortions from receiving reimbursements via Medicaid, the US government’s healthcare program for low-income people, despite the fact that those reimbursements don’t actually cover abortions. “Payment of taxpayer funds to abortion clinics, for any purpose, results in the subsidy of abortion and the denial of the right to life,” McMaster said at the time. However, federal law bans Medicaid from covering the vast majority of abortions, which only comprised about 4% of Planned Parenthood’s activities in fiscal year 2022. Instead, people use Medicaid to cover Planned Parenthood’s other services. In the same year, the organization performed nearly half a million Pap tests and breast exams as well as 4.6m STI tests and treatments. It also provided birth control services to more than 2.2 million people. Planned Parenthood South Atlantic, a Planned Parenthood affiliate that operates two clinics in South Carolina, teamed up with a patient who sought birth control, Julie Edwards, to sue over McMaster’s order. Lower courts have since kept the order from going into effect. From experts in mine safety to smoking and infertility – mass layoffs hit branch after branch of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of health secretary Robert F Kennedy Jr’s plan to downsize nearly a quarter of the 82,000-person workforce took effect. Even as the sprawling nature of layoffs became apparent on Tuesday, a complete accounting was elusive. Layoffs were undertaken with few public details, with even apoplectic congressional lawmakers left in the dark. The result was a day of desperate crowdsourcing, as employees themselves and experts outside government became aware of programs and positions eliminated – and then processed how it would ultimately impact American lives. Layoff notices started coming down earlier in the day, embodied by lines of staffers wrapping the sidewalk of the “Parklawn” building in Maryland – waiting to see if their badges would still work, and employees in building elevators carrying boxes of personal belongings. A combined more than $80m was spent on the race, topping the previous record of $51m that was spent in the 2023 Wisconsin state supreme court race. Elon Musk and affiliated groups spent more than $20m alone. Musk reprised some of the tactics that he used last fall to help Trump win, including offering $100 to people who signed a petition opposing “activist judges” and offering $1m checks to voters. Pointing to the potential to redraw House districts, Musk had said the race “might decide the future of America and western civilization”. Democrats seized on Musk’s involvement in the race to energize voters who were upset about the wrecking ball he and his unofficial “department of government efficiency”, or Doge, have taken to federal agencies. They raised the stakes of an already high-stakes contest by holding out Wisconsin as a test case for Musk, saying that if he succeeded, he would take his model across the country. The result in Wisconsin means that liberals will keep a 4-3 ideological majority on the state supreme court. That majority is hugely significant because the court will hear major cases on abortion and collective bargaining rights. The court could also potentially consider cases that could cause the state to redraw its eight congressional districts, which are now drawn to advantage Republicans. Milwaukee, Wisconsin’s largest city, reported “historic turnout” for a spring election, with election officials saying in a statement Tuesday evening that due to the “unprecedented high turnout,” seven polling places ran out of ballots. The city’s elections commission said it was working to replenish resources to voters during the evening rush. Susan Crawford won the race for a seat on the Wisconsin supreme court on Tuesday, a win which the liberal judge said showed “our courts are not for sale”. “Today Wisconsinites fended off an unprecedented attack on our democracy,” Crawford said in a speech at her victory night event in Madison. “Wisconsin stood up and said loudly that justice does not have a price. Our courts are not for sale.” With more than 84% of the vote tallied, Crawford led Schimel by nearly 10 percentage points. In remarks on Tuesday night, Schimel said he and his team “didn’t leave anything on the field” and announced that he had conceded the race in a call to his opponent before taking the stage. When his supporters began to boo, Schimel stopped them. “No, you gotta accept the results,” he said, adding: “The numbers aren’t gonna turn around. They’re too bad, and we’re not gonna pull this off.” Musk said hours after the result that “The long con of the left is corruption of the judiciary” and that the most important thing was that a vote on the addition of voter ID requirements passed. The UK government will not engage in a “kneejerk” response to any tariffs imposed by Donald Trump, as it warned there will be a “difficult period” ahead in trade relations with the US and called for calm, Alexandra Topping reports. The education secretary Bridget Phillipson said the government had been “working through every eventuality”. “We still have negotiations under way with our US counterparts about securing an economic deal, but we will always act in the national interest and the interest of the British people.” However, others are urging Keir Starmer to take a different approach, as Andrew Sparrow reports in the UK politics live blog. While the main opposition party, the Conservatives, have supported the UK PM’s stance of attempting to curry favour with Trump, other parties such as the Liberal Democrats have urged the UK to form a united front with the EU and Canada to retaliate. Donald Trump is due announce new tariffs at the White House on Wednesday afternoon and is threatening to unleash a global trade war on what he has called “liberation day”. Global stock markets, corporate executives and economists have all been shaken but no details of Wednesday’s plans have been made available ahead of the announcement. The president is set to speak at 4pm ET (9pm GMT, 10pm CET). White House officials said the implementation of the tariffs would be immediate. Trump hopes to bring manufacturing back to the US, respond to what he considers unfair trade policies from other countries, increase tax revenue and incentivize crackdowns on migration and drug trafficking. The implementation of his tariffs has so far been haphazard, with multiple rollbacks and delays and vague promises that have yet to come to fruition. The threats have soured US relations with its largest trading partners. Canada’s prime minister, Mark Carney, has called them “unjustified” and pledged to retaliate. The European Union has said it has a “strong plan” to retaliate. Ahead of the announcement, Trump repeated the idea of imposing so-called reciprocal tariffs, where the US would tax imports at the same rates that a country uses for US exports. Trump has specifically mentioned countries like South Korea, Brazil and India, along with the EU, as being possible targets for reciprocal tariffs. “The world has been ripping off the United States for the last 40 years and more,” Trump told NBC over the weekend. “All we’re doing is being fair.” Susan Crawford’s victory in the race for a seat on the Wisconsin supreme court has been hailed as a major win for Democrats after the contest was framed as a referendum on Elon Musk and Donald Trump’s popularity. Crawford, a liberal judge from Dane county, defeated Brad Schimel, a former Republican attorney general and conservative judge from Waukesha county, after Musk and groups associated with the tech billionaire spent millions to boost his candidacy in what became the most expensive judicial contest in American history. More than $80m was spent on the race, with Musk and affiliated groups spending more than $20m alone. Musk reprised some of the tactics that he used last fall to help Trump win, including offering $100 to people who signed a petition opposing “activist judges” and offering $1m checks to a smaller number of voters. However, two US House of Representatives seats in Florida, vacated by cabinet appointees, went to Republicans on Tuesday, dashing Democratic hopes for an upset victory in the first federal special elections held since the president began his second term. Democratic candidates Josh Weil and Gay Valimont were on track to lose the solidly red districts by much smaller margins than the more than 30 points that Democrats lost them by in November. Elsewhere, Cory Booker, the Democratic US senator from New Jersey, broke the record for longest speech ever by a lone senator – beating the record first established by Strom Thurmond, who spoke for 24 hours and 18 minutes in opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1957. “I rise with the intention of disrupting the normal business of the United States Senate for as long as I am physically able,” Booker said near the start of his speech. “I rise tonight because I believe sincerely that our nation is in crisis.” He concluded his speech after 25 hours and five minutes.